Friday, March 25, 2011

Red Bellied woodpeckers

My red bellied woodpeckers have been here all winter this year. I normally have the male but this year male and female came to feeders. Feb. 16th I noticed a hole in a side tree by my house. The male was very busy hollowing out a nest cavity. It was not accepted by female and he moved on to another tree. I can see it from my window and monitor the progress of that site. Starlings are a problem. I have more this year. But he is holding his ground. And on March 22nd. Female appears to have accepted this hole. March 23rd. She was inside. They were both in and out throughout the day. At 5pm she was still there and they were still inside. Right on the side of the road and easy to see. Will keep a watchful eye out on the progress of this site. The starling stay around in the early morning and then move on. Male stays inside and they do not get a chance to enter hole. He is very agressive this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment